Here is a place for my travelogues, now being updated with my May 2011 expedition, From the Gardens of Seville .... The blog title comes from a favorite puzzle: You are a photographer. You leave your base camp and walk one mile South. Nothing. So you change direction and walk one mile West. Here you see a family of bears. You take lots of pictures. Finally, your memory card full, you walk one mile North and you are back where you started from, at your base camp! What color were the bears?

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Postcards


In a futile attempt to send postcards that arrive before I get back, I bought postcards in the Piazza Signoria (a plaza and central meeting area outside the town hall and other historic buildings) in Florence (Firenze in Italian) on Wednesday, June 17. That evening I wrote notes on the postcards and left them at Reception on the ship. The hope was that they would be mailed the next day in Nice. It looks like the cards were mailed three days later in Cagliari on Saturday, June 20 and postmarked Monday, June 22. As a check I sent myself one. It arrived on Friday, June 26, three days after I returned home.

Notice that the date is of the form dd.mm.yy. Pretty much everywhere we went the dates were of that form or dd.mm.yyyy. Interestingly, my date of birth and the date of issue on my passport were printed dd.mmm.yyyy. A U. S. Customs form required for reentry used the date in the form dd.mm.yy. All different from the U. S. usual bizarre mm/dd/yy. (Of course, this is not news. But it lets me practice scanning a document and placing the results in the blog.)

Followers